Alexander County Fire Marshal Russell Greene informed The Times on Wednesday afternoon, Oct. 12, that recent customers at All American Raceway, at 6901 Millersville Road in Taylorsville, who believed they were purchasing kerosene, in fact were buying gasoline. The fuel should be used accordingly.
A house fire in Stony Point on Tuesday night, Oct. 11, was caused by a kerosene stove which burst into flames after the homeowner had put what she believed to be kerosene in the tank. However, the kerosene pump had dispensed gasoline, as it appears to have been improperly filled in the store’s tanks.
Customers are urged to use caution, said Greene, and should NOT use this fuel for heating purposes.
UPDATE: Greene said the mix-up occurred due to the fact that All American Raceway converted their kerosene pump to a non-ethanol gasoline pump. The store owner has been cooperative and has voluntarily placed the pump out of service until proper labeling can be established. This issue has been referred to the N.C. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Motor Fuels.
SOURCE: The Taylorsville Times (http://www.taylorsvilletimes.com)